Saturday, December 16, 2006

Eragon (Review)







This is really a highly anticipated movie. Cineleisure is going all out to promote it...there is this whole magic, sci-fi, games and comics fare and the mainstage has to be...Yup, Eragon. Very good marketing effort. But seriously let get on with the movie shall we? (Groan~!)


Extremely good movie. I give it a 5 star rating.....if I was an 8 year old. But what a pity that I am not. As far as dragons go in movies its a good depiction of one. Dragon Heart had a male dragon with Sir Sean Connery's voice. Lots of character that one. This dragon in this here movie...Eragon("Era Gone" if I were to rename it)...has a female dragon. Cool....Saphira (thats the dragon's name voiced by Rachel Weisz) has a motherly touch and surely doesn't scare the wits out of babies.


Getting on now...John Malkovich is King Galbatorix, which in my personal opinion is fathomed by the writer of the novel who loves Asterix the comic does a pathetic job. C'mon...a highly accomplished actor with a movie named after himself surely he could have sensed of how completely wrong that he should be in a Childrens Television Workshop type of production.


The rest of the cast is not worth mentioning much since the most accomplished of actors failed as a Villain King. What really saved this movie is not the Peter and Jane script, or the sorceror that can conjour an evil equivalant of a dragon, nor the battle of Lego Land proportions....its yes the motherly mighty dragon herself. I can live with that.

If you are a parent and your kids are still in post diapers blues, this is a perfect movie to spend quality family time. The computer graphics animation will not astound you but catching the reaction of your kids reacting to the magical allure of a mystical creature will be priceless. Too bad my dad is nearing sixty and I could no longer fit in my kindergarten uniform because I bet I would have loved it.

No comments: